Jones Act Claims

Contact a Maritime Lawyer in Orlando & Central Florida To Preserve Your Rights

call maritime attorney in Orlando

Admiralty Law and the federal Jones Act in conjunction with the Federal Employers Liability Act, apply to claims being made against vessel operators and maritime employers for their employee crew member’s work-related injuries. These statutes provide damages, benefits, and/or protections for injuries to those crew members caused by the negligence of officers or employees of a vessel or caused by the general unseaworthiness of a vessel. Under these statutes, a maritime employer owes a much higher duty of care to their crew members even when a risk is assumed by an employee, which makes the proving of employer negligence much easier. The damages available include the right to maintenance and cure (a stipend of lost wages and payment of remedial medical care) while remedial treatment is being provided, plus the right to pursue special and compensatory damages for past and future lost wages and medical expenses, as well as pain and suffering. A Jones Act claim must generally be brought in the court within three years of the date of the accident, therefore it is important to speak with a qualified maritime attorney as quickly as possible after such an accident occurs.

Contact a Maritime Lawyer Today

If you or a loved one has been injured as a vessel crew member and believe you may have a Jones Act case, it is vital to contact a maritime lawyer immediately to preserve your rights and to determine your legal options. Attorney Chuck Smith in Orlando and Central Florida has handled Jones Act cases since being admitted to practice law in 1996. Providing attentive and personalized representation, he is experienced in both negotiations and litigation, and if you retain C.W. Smith Law, P.A., your legal matters and concerns will be handled by Mr. Smith himself.
Most Jones Act matters can be handled by C.W. Smith Law, P.A. on a contingency basis, meaning that no fees or costs would be owed or paid unless a recovery is made.

To schedule a free consultation, please use the contact form or call us at (407) 801-COMP (2667).